Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Year-End Hoopla, Part Duex!

So you've read the top 12, here's another "Top" list for you.

Paul's Top 8 Albums That are Decent, Yet Somehow Disappointing

* These aren't in any particular order actually, they're pretty much all equally disappointing

1) Tool - 10,000 Days
2) Incubus - Light Grenades
3) Dashboard Confessional - Dusk and Summer
4) Daughtry - Daughtry
5) Army of Anyone - Army of Anyone
6) Supernova - Rock Star: Supernova
7) Killers - Sam's Town
8) Evanescence - The Open Door

A lot of these I had high hopes for and they just let me down. The albums by established bands (Tool, Incubus, Dashboard Confessional, Killers, Evanescence) all follow extremely good previous albums (except for Incubus who is on a 2 album loosing streak with me). I don't know if the bar was set too high, or if it's just too hard for a band to put out great album after great album, but the established acts on the list just really let me down this year. Their CDs aren't bad, they're just not as good as the last one they put out.

The new acts on the list all had a lot of potential in my book and their debut just didn't live up to what I was hoping for. That's okay, they'll get a second chance, maybe, and the albums they put out certainly aren't painful to listen to or anything. I just wish they had been better.

--Paul

No comments: