Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Wicked Smooth

As part of Christmas, I got two copies of the new Zelda game for the Wii. So I took a copy back to Wal-Mart and had them put it on a gift card for me. I've been waiting ever since for something to come out that interested me enough to use the card on. It came out last week and it's called WarioWare: Smooth Moves.

It's hard to explain exactly what it's like. If you've ever played a WarioWare game before, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't just take my word for it when I say that it's a little on the crazy side, but in a good crazy kind of way. You play a series of "micro" games that last at most 5 seconds. When a game starts, you're given an objective and it's up to you to figure out how to accomplish the objective is the short amount of time you have. It's a lot more fun than it sounds. It also really shows off what all the Wiimote can do. There's a slew of different ways you're asked to hold the remote and each position allows for countless different movements. Nintendo really seems to have a good grasp on what all their new console is capable of. If other game developers get at as good at putting the Wiimote to use as Nintendo is already, there should be some really good games coming out in the future.

For me, WarioWare was well worth getting. It's really the first game that I've thought was worth buying since Zelda. So don't let the pink box art fool you. Give it a try.

--Paul

No comments: