Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Christmas 2010 Buying Guide - Wii

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.  At least, as far as Wal-Mart is concerned.  Every year, I get a ton of people asking me what kind of gadget, game or do-dad they should buy for someone.  I'm not being self-absorbed when I say that it seems I've become the go-to guy for a good number of people when they need advice on electronics.  I thought last year I was going to have to start a personal shopper business.  Instead, this year, I've got a better idea.  For the entire month of November, I'm going to post Christmas gift related posts.  Each post will cover a different topic and will include links to where you can purchase each item from Amazon.  The Amazon links will be for my Amazon associates account, so if you see something on a post that you like and would like to show your appreciation to me for pointing you in the direction of a great gift, use the link to buy the item and I'll get a percentage from Amazon for the referral.  You don't pay any more than you would otherwise, I just get an "advertising fee".  It's a win-win.

So, that said, I thought we'd start today off with a topic that's been very popular the last couple of years: The Nintendo Wii.

First, if you don't already own a Wii, you'll need the system itself.  They now have 3 color options.  You can get the classic white one (here), or you can get one in black to match the rest of your entertainment components (here).  Also, Mario is celebrating his 25th anniversary this year and in honor of that occasion, there is a special red Wii available for a limited time (here).  My recommendation currently is to pick up the red one.  Not only is it incredibly cool, it also comes with one of last year's best games: New Super Mario Bros. Wii.  All three versions cost $199.99 but with the extra game, the red is easily the best value.

After you have the console, you'll also need an extra controller or two.  I recommend only buying the official Nintendo-made Wii controllers and nunchuks.  There are white and blue and pink versions.  The nunchuk's are also available in white and black and run $19.99 retail, but are usually cheaper on Amazon.

So, now we've got a console and a few extra controllers, now we need something to play on this bad boy.  I've already mentioned New Super Mario Bros. Wii.  If you buy the red console, you get it free.  If you don't buy the red console, this is a great game that I highly recommend.  I would also recommend Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2.  The last Mario game I would consider would be Mario Kart Wii.  It comes with a free "Wii Wheel", but you can get more of them for $10 each here.  There are also some great games that have come out this year.  Kirby's Epic Yarn has gotten great reviews and is a pretty safe bet.  Donkey Kong Country Returns is a game that I'll be buying or asking for this year as it's a return to a favorite from my childhood.  Disney's Epic Mickey isn't out until Nov. 30, but it promises to be a great game from what's been shown so far.  Another great game for the whole family is Wii Party.  For someone a little older, I would suggest Metroid: Other M.  It's a little more action oriented game that would be great for teenagers.  The same goes for Goldeneye 007.  Finally, there's the sequel to last year's surprise hit, Just Dance 2 and of course, we can't talk about the Wii without talking about fitness games. There's the classic Wii Fit Plus (with Balance Board) and EA Active 2 (that includes some other accessories.

Most of those games are going to run in the $50 range.  Amazon is good about giving $4 or $5 breaks though plus everything you buy should be free shipping and no tax, so you're coming out money ahead if you order from Amazon.  The only thing on the list over $50 is the Wii Fit Plus and EA Active 2. They're both in the $100 range because they're bundled with either the Balance Board or some workout accessories from EA.

So, you've seen the options.  What about recommendations.  If I were buying for my 10 year old, I would definitely get the Mario 25th Anniversary Red Wii console, an extra Wii Remote and Wii Nunchuk and then I would probably start with Mario Kart Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns.  Then, if buying for a girl, I would get either Just Dance 2 or Kirby's Epic Yarn and for a boy, I would get either Goldeneye 007 or Madden NFL 11 (if they like football).

So there's my recommendations on Wii purchases for Christmas 2011.  I'll be covering PS3 and Xbox 360 and I'll also be talking about things like iPod/iPads, TVs, laptops, cameras/video cameras and anything else I can think of.  If there's something specific you would like for me to cover, leave a comment or email me and I'll be happy to talk about it this month.  Happy shopping.

--Paul

No comments: