Thursday, May 12, 2011

30

I don't think I mentioned it Tuesday, but yesterday was my birthday.  I turned 30 this year.  It's kind of crazy when you think about how much life changes in 30 years but it's been a great, blessed time and I really think life has just begun.  I had a lot of people ask me yesterday how it felt to be 30 and honestly, it doesn't feel all that different from being 20-something.  I'm sure that if I could step back into my 20 year old self, I would be able to tell at least a physical difference, but looking back from where I'm at now, I can't feel it.

It was a pretty routine day.  Work, home and then church.  I do have to give DeAnne a little ribbing though.  When I left for work yesterday morning, she made no mention of it being my birthday.  She's usually still half asleep when I leave though, so I didn't really think anything of it.  Later that day though, she needed something and called me real quick from the school.  Still no mention of my birthday.  Then later that afternoon she called me again and still didn't say "happy birthday".  Finally, we had a doctor's appointment (her now every two weeks routine visit) and we were sitting in the waiting room and she was just going on about how her day had been and finally I just had to ask her if she knew what day it was.  She said yes, it's Wednesday so I asked her if she remembered that it was my birthday.  This is where it gets rich.  She told me that she did know it was my birthday and that she just hadn't had the chance to wish me a happy birthday yet!

Yesterday I was a little offended but looking back, it's pretty funny so I have to rib her for it a little.  In her defense, I will say that she was really busy yesterday.  They had awards day at the school and she was pretty much in charge of running a reception for all the "graduating" 6th graders and their parents, so she had a crazy day.  Still, it's pretty funny that she had four chances and never told me until I asked.  She also never gave me my card.  She said she had one for me but when we got home from church, she laid down on the couch for a minute and fell asleep.  Maybe I'll get it today.

So anyway, thank you to everyone who told me happy birthday yesterday, it was a great day and I'm looking forward to the next 30+ years.

--Paul

No comments: