Tuesday, September 13, 2011

MeMaw

This past Sunday, my grandmother, "MeMaw", passed away.  She was 75.  She'll be laid to rest next to my grandfather, "PePaw", in Mobile this afternoon around 11:00.

MeMaw was many things: a mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, wife and widow, friend, sister, aunt, an adopted mother to many and most of all, a Christian.  Both of my grandmothers have always been great pillars of faith in my life.  Without either of them, I'm not sure where I would be now.

MeMaw loved with a heart so big, she couldn't contain it.  There were countless times I've met someone who knew her only to hear them tell stories of how she did things for them when no one else would; how she took care of children who needed taking care of; how she gave of herself so others could have.

Giving may be her biggest legacy.  She wanted nothing more than for her children and grandchildren to have a better life than she had had.  She worked long hours in a sewing factory when my father and uncle were young just to provide them with opportunities that she had never had.  It was a trait she instilled in her sons.  It's a trait that my father has instilled in me.  To give all of one's self for your family to prosper, for you children to have better than you had.

She was proud.  I remember that for many years her van had a front license plate that read: "Let me tell you about my grandchildren."  She wouldn't just tell you about her grandchildren though.  She would tell you about her boys, her grandchildren and anyone else that she had considered a child to her through the years.  She was proud that her sons work as hard as they do and have done as well as they have to provide for their families.  She was proud of her grandchildren and the things that I and my cousins have accomplished in our lives.  She was proud of the things that the Lord had blessed her with and she was happy to share every blessing she could with anyone she came into contact with.

She could cook.  I know no one's ever had a grandmother that couldn't cook.  MeMaw came from such humble beginnings that she never wanted anyone to go without food.  I don't know of a time I didn't step foot in her house when she didn't ask me if there was something I wanted to eat.  She had two great specialties: sweet pickles and pound cake.  Personally, I've never been a fan of pickles, but I've been told hers are some of the greatest ever made.  And while I can't attest to the quality of her pickles, I can boldly declare that her pound cake is quite possibly the greatest thing ever made by human hands. I firmly believe that the Lord imparted MeMaw's pound cake recipe to her so that she could share a little taste of Heaven with anyone she came into contact with.

It's been a little over two years since MeMaw was first diagnosed with cancer.  After surgery and treatments, she was given a clean bill of health and she had a good life for the next 18 months or so.  After the beginning of the year this year, her health deteriorated quickly and she spent the past 6 months or so struggling just to eat, sleep and be comfortable.  After my grandfather passed away, she missed him terribly and has never quite been the same without him.  I have no doubt that they are now standing together worshipping the Lord in Heaven.  She's finally at rest; no pain, no suffering, no tears and while we who are left behind mourn our loss, I have no doubt that all of Heaven rejoices at their gain.  I rejoice with those Angels and Saints knowing that my grandmother is finally home.

This past Christmas DeAnne and I announced our pregnancy to each family as we had Christmas with them.  We gave each of our parents a set of baby booties.  When my dad opened his set, it took MeMaw about half a second to realize what they meant.  I don't think anyone across all of our family caught on as quick as she did.  I also think she had possibly the best reaction and the biggest smile.  I didn't know it at the time, but it was the last time I ever saw her that happy.  I really think she held on as long as she did in part to be able to see Harrison be born.  We took him to see her as often as we could and you could tell that it always brightened her spirits to see him.  DeAnne and I took video of our parents opening those booties and MeMaw happened to be sitting next to Dad as he opened his.  I wanted to share that video with you all so that you could have a memory of MeMaw that was made of pure joy.




--Paul

1 comment:

Thoughts of Blue said...

this is a beautiful post. i am sorry for this loss for your family. we love you guys and always pray for you.