Tuesday, April 05, 2011

School Is Hard

If this class that DeAnne's taking doesn't kill us both, it'll truly be a miracle.  I don't know if it's that having been out of school for more than five years or that it's the totally online thing or just that it's a master's level course and it's harder than undergrad classes were, but this thing is kicking both our rear ends.  I've taken to reading the chapters along with her so that she'll have a person that she can have a fluid conversation with about the material.  Of course, I'm not a teacher and I've never studied any of this stuff before, but it's a lot of philosophy stuff about teaching and education and to me, a lot of it just turns in to a bunch of wordy psycho-babble that you end up boiling down to about one sentence.  A lot of it also seems fairly liberal and that part of it just crawls all over me and my conservative, Christian influenced views.  Things like corporal punishment and the sin nature of man are blatantly looked down on by the author of the book.  Thankfully, if we can just get DeAnne through this one class, she'll be able to get her certificate renewed and we can decide later if she really wants to finish her master's or not.  At this point, I'm not sure if either of us believe it to be worth the cost.

So that's my soapbox for the day.  We had a pretty good weekend.  DeAnne studied, I cleaned up some of the house, we spent some time with family and friends and we had our usual Sunday of church, grocery shopping and church.  Pretty standard stuff.  Hope you had a good one too.  See you Thursday.

--Paul

No comments: