Saturday, January 09, 2010

Didn't Forget This Saturday

Whew, where to start?

Yesterday was DeAnne's birthday. I think overall she had a pretty excellent one. We ate dinner last night at Andalusia's new Japanese steak house and we were both blown away by the quality. If something puts that place under, it won't be the food, it'll be the price. It was as expensive as most other hibachi places I've been, but it was still pretty steep for Andalusia. We dropped about $45 for the two of us. That's not something we can do every week, so we'll only be going every now and then. Hopefully the place makes it though. It was really good.

The annual Consumer's Electronics Show (CES) got under way this week out in Las Vegas. Every year companies get together and show off all the new tech they're working on. It's a geek's fantasy island and I always watch the news coming out of the show a little closer than I should. This year's big thing has been 3D. 3D T.V.s will start showing up this year and content providers like DirecTV are going to start hosting 3D channels from ESPN and Discovery. The thing about the 3D stuff is that you can't really watch a demo of it on the internet because it's just in 2D, so I'm not really sure how 3D is going to do. I'm not just wild about the idea myself. You still have to wear glasses and I just don't know how anxious I am to sit around and wear glasses and watch "Law and Order" in 3D. I can see where it would be cool in some instances. "24", "V", "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" come to mind, but I think the scope is kind of limited. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The other big thing being talked about is "slate PCs" or what used to be called "tablet PCs". I think Microsoft made the big push for "slate" and I'm not crazy about the term. I like "tablet" more I think, but either way, the devices that are being shown are pretty cool. The fact that Apple is probably about to announce their own tablet in a couple of weeks just makes it even better. I've never really understood the appeal of the little netbook PCs, but a 10 or 11 inch iPod Touch. Now that's something I can get behind.

Switching gears a little, we watched "Julie and Julia" the other night and it was pretty good. The acting was great and for a "chick-flick" it really didn't have too much of the standard formula to it. The language was no worse than any other PG-13 movie you see and the fact that it's based on a true story makes the whole series of events pretty cool.

That's about all I've got for today. Have a good weekend and I'll see you on Wednesday.

--Paul

No comments: