Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Lots To Talk About

It's amazing what can happen in just a few short days. First let me apologize for not posting on Saturday. Of course, since I posted all last week, I more than made up for it, but still, I told you I would post on Saturdays and I'm sorry I didn't this past week.

We had a pretty good weekend. We spent New Year's Eve over at Bryan and Adrienne's house and shot fireworks with them and had a good time. Friday we ate lunch with DeAnne's Mom and watched Auburn win 4 times and loose 3 all in one game. Saturday we decided to get out of the house and we went down to Florala and visited the junk shops down there. We didn't find much but there was a booth of comics and sports cards in one of the shops and I bought some comics. We also ate lunch at El Toro and I can't say I would recommend it. The salsa was good and that's about the only compliment I can come up with for the place.

Shifting gears, Google held a press conference yesterday to talk about their new phone called the "Nexus One". It's only available on T-Mobile right now, but it's coming to Verizon in a couple of months. You can see some cool demo stuff at http://www.google.com/phone. It looks like a pretty cool phone, and it can probably compete with the iPhone pretty well. The only thing is that it doesn't have iTunes, which is the same problem that ever other phone that competes with the iPhone has. Without the iTunes integration and iPod interface, I really think it's hard for a phone to compete against Apple. It's the same thing that's happened to iPod competitors. They may have a great mp3 player, but iTunes is so integrated into the minds of mp3 player users, that a lot of people just won't use something that doesn't work with iTunes.

The other big announcement that came out yesterday was about Butch Walker's new album. Pre-orders went up for the album with different levels offering different pre-order bonuses. The most expensive package, and I'm not even sure it was for real, is $25,000 and claims to grant you a writing session with Butch and the chance to play the song on stage with him during a tour. As awesome as that would be, there's no way I could come up with that much money so I opted for the $75 option instead. It includes a signed vinyl copy of the new album, a CD copy of the album, a t-shirt, a limited edition poster and a few other little things. Hopefully it's all as cool as it sounds.

CES, the annual giant electronics show is this week, so I'm sure that will provide me with plenty of stuff to talk about on Saturday. Have a good rest of the week.

--Paul

No comments: