Saturday, January 30, 2010

iLetDown

So Apple's big iPad announcement was a pretty big letdown for me. As I posted on Twitter yesterday, I think it boils down to the fact that I was hoping for a Mac tablet, not a iPhone tablet. I wanted a device with a full-blown operating system, not just the stripped-down, restrictive OS that the iPhone has. I really don't think that it would be that hard for Apple to re-skin the Mac OS for a tablet and I think they would have had a lot more interest than what they seem to be getting. I really think they missed the chance to have a truly versatile device that could blow away anything that went up against it.

I think they also missed a huge opportunity by leaving out a camera. The lack of a camera is just a huge face-palm move. The video chat possibilities are just an obvious killer app for this thing and Apple already makes one of the best with iChat. An iPad version of iChat is just a no-brainer and the only thing I can think of to justify it is that Apple couldn't get the hardware done on schedule and pushed the feature back to the next generation of the device.

So other than the iPad, I've been sick this week. It started Wednesday and Thursday afternoon I went on to the doctor instead of trying to fight it off myself this time. It turned out to be the beginning of a sinus infection so he gave me two shots and some pills and I'm starting to feel a little better. I've been okay during the mornings, but as the day progresses I tend to start feeling worse. Hopefully I can turn the corner today and be done with this mess pretty quickly. This is the third time in three months I've had some sort of sickness and it's starting to get old.

Have a good weekend everyone. See you on Wednesday.

--Paul

No comments: