Thursday, October 07, 2010

Music Time

So without a topic really coming to mind for today, I'm going to turn to the old fall-back: music.

I've started co-teaching the high school boys Sunday School class at church and as part of that, we've started a thing where we find Christian music we think they might like and give it to them.  We're trying to get music into their hands that they can listen to and enjoy and not hear the kind of mess that most popular music includes.

Suburba by House of Heroes was the first album we did.  I would call them a pop-rock band but they have  a little bit of a punk rock flavor to them too.  They started off as just being "Christians in a band" but over the last couple of albums, their faith has been coming more to the forefront of their music.  It's a good album about being growing up in suburban life and getting in to trouble and looking for answers to all the big questions.  I really enjoyed it and from what I've heard from the boys in class, they all did too.

We just gave out the second album last Sunday.  Horseshoes and Handgrenades by Disciple is a little more on the heavy side of things than House of Heroes.  If you've heard of Skillet, then imagine them with a little more heavy metal in them.  The album is pretty incredible.  Heavy where it needs to be yet still melodic enough that it doesn't give you a headache.  These guys are great musicians.  Disciple has actually been around since 1992 and they've been nominated for six Dove Awards (Christian equivalent of a Grammy) durning that time and I feel like this album will get them a couple more nominations.

So that's two of the main albums I've been listening to lately.  Of course, if you're interested in them, click through the links I provided and pick them up.  If you do, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.

Have a good weekend, War Eagle and I'll see you all on Tuesday.

--Paul

No comments: