Friday, August 14, 2009

Rock & Roll Star

I was saddened to see that Les Paul died yesterday. I don't know that many people realized that he was still alive or that the guitars he was famous for creating were actually named after a real guy, but he was real, he was a great guitar player and he was a genius not only for his contributions to guitars but also the recording process.

When I was 18 and graduating from high school, my parents wanted to get me something. It ended up being a Les Paul Custom. Solid black finish, gold hardware, mother-of-pearl in-lays, beautiful. And that was before you ever plugged her in. Plugged in it just hummed a deep resonant tone. Add distortion and it would simply growl. It's one of the best presents I've ever gotten. Once I had that guitar in my hands I just knew I could conquer the world with rock. The dreams never panned out and I don't play as much as I should anymore, but that guitar is tied to some of the very best memories I have between the time I got it and the time I met my wife.

Les Paul will always be a part of my life and the world will rock a little softer without him in it.

Have a good Friday and a good weekend.

--Paul

No comments: