Thursday, September 11, 2008

150

Today marks post number 150 for the year. I know I talked about the numbers and all a while back, but it's still amazing to me that I've kept this up this long. I'm actually kind of proud of myself. For those that are still reading, thank you for coming here and reading this. I know I'm not the greatest writer in the world and I'm sure you don't always enjoy the topics I write about, but I appreciate your presence and look forward to the rest of the year.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention what everyone already knows. Today is the 7th anniversary of the attacks of September 11, 2001. I know that we're all going to hear about it all day long, but it just can't be ignored. I remember in high school, teachers would talk about those moments in history that define a generation and that people remember where they were when those things happened. Things like the bombing of Pearl Harbor or the Kennedy assassination. September 11 is without a doubt that moment for my generation.

I was in my first semester at Troy and I had classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday so I was at home the day the attacks happened. I got up that morning and like I always did, I flipped on the TV, turned it to the Today show and started getting my breakfast ready. It was just before the first plane hit. I won't go into the details of my memories, but I can pretty much recreate that entire day in my mind. There are very few days I can say that about. My wedding, graduating from college and a few other major events in my life are about all that can claim that feat.

So say a little extra prayer today for the families of the victims of September 11 and say a prayer for the soldiers that are still fighting the war against those who would do us greater harm than was done on that day.

Have a good Thursday.

--Paul

No comments: