Thursday, September 04, 2008

Let's Get Political

I guess that as you get older certain things happen that you can take as signs that your priorities have changed and that this shift in priorities is in turn a sign of getting older. Last night, one of those moments occurred for me and DeAnne. We watched about 2 hours of the Republican National Convention.

Now, dont' get me wrong. I've always enjoyed politics to some degree. I've voted in every major election and the majority of the minor elections that have occured since I turned 18. This, however, is new, uncharted waters. For DeAnne, who's never cared a thing about politics as far as I know, it's a whole new universe.

I should have seen it coming though. I tried last week to watch some of the DNC and after a few minutes, I couldn't take it anymore and turned the channel. This was different. I guess it's easier to watch people speak when they're saying things you agree with. We saw Mike Huckabee, the man I voted for in the primaries, give an excellent speech. I really think it's a shame that he's not the Presidential candidate. Next up was the current Govenor of Hawaii. She did a good job and had some good points, but she ran a little long and lost us towards the middle of her speech. Rudy Gulianni was next. I've never been a big fan of Rudy but I can see why he was mayor of New York and why he's still a player on the national scene. He gave a great speech, the best one we saw last night, and served as a great introduction to Sarah Palin. If Rudy was good, the Sarah Palin was incredible. I expected her to do a good job, but I think she really nailed it. She did a good job making a case for her experience and did a good job of telling the media to back off. I'm actually pretty excited about her now and I'm hoping that she'll be a major help in getting McCain elected.

I'm running late and I know it was a long post, but last night was just too interesting to not talk about. Have a good Thursday.

--Paul

No comments: