Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Christmas?

Something I've noticed this year: Christmas seems to have come earlier than ever. Wal-Mart had already started putting out Christmas stuff before halloween had even happened. I think it was a day or two after halloween that we were back in Wal-Mart and I noticed that they were playing Christmas music. The songs were kind of redone and a little hard to recognize at first, but once I stopped and listened, I realized that it was indeed Christmas music. I know that it seems like there's a big push every year to get Christmas going and start selling stuff, but it just seems to have come earlier this year. Here's what I'm thinking: the economy. With the economy in the tank like it is I think that the retailers have begun the Christmas push earlier this year trying to drive November sales. We all know that sales are going to be down this year, it's just a race between retailers to see who's sales go down the least. That means working for our money earlier than ever.

There's one aspect to this that really bugs me though. It seems that as people start to realize that retailers have already switched into Christmas gear, they've begun to decorate. There are several homes in Andalusia that have had their decorations up for more than a week now. People! Don't put up Christmas three weeks before Thanksgiving! I might could see doing it the weekend before Thanksgiving at the earliest, but come on! Three weeks? One holiday at a time, please.

Have a good Tuesday.

--Paul

No comments: