Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Taxman

I started working on our taxes last night. In a bit of a change from the last two years, I've decided to use a software program to help prepare and e-file everything, including the state return. We've had someone do our taxes the last couple of years, but the cost was getting to be a little unreal for what little we actually had. It'll take me longer to do them but the software should keep me from making any outrageous mistakes.

On the recommendation of some of my coworkers, I went with TaxAct. They have both an online version and a download version. I went with the download so that the only communication with anything online would be when I actually sent the e-file. It's maybe not as nice as TurboTax, but I figured if I was trying to save money by not having an accountant prepare our taxes, I might as well go with the cheapest software package. It was $20 for both Federal and State. I was worried about the price, but like I said, several people at work recommended it and I've read some good reviews on the internet, so I feel pretty safe. I say that now so watch us get audited for some reason.

Have a good Wednesday.

--Paul

No comments: