Tuesday, June 09, 2009

My Grandmother

Almost two weeks ago my Grandmother (my dad's mom), had a kidney removed. It had quit functioning and was causing some problems so they decided to take it out. When they did, they found a mass in it. The path report came back last Friday and it was indeed malignant. The doctor believes that he might have gotten it all, but to be sure, he wants to go back in and take out the rest of the tube that ran from that kidney to the bladder. It that's clean, then he believes that he got it in time.

This all falls into my story about the weekend in that she lives outside of Atlanta. We had planned the trip for the concert well before we found out she was having surgery. We've been planning to go up there during the summer anyway, but when Dad called and told me they had found cancer, Courtney and Edwin were kind enough to let us take their car and drive over to see her on Saturday morning. It was good to see her and she looked really good too. She seemed to be recovering from surgery really well and it was a really good visit, even though it was so short. I can't thank Courtney and Edwin enough for letting us borrow their Xtera. You guys are the best.

So after we got back from seeing my Grandmother, every one loaded up and headed out. Heather, Harry, Evan and Drew decided to head on to Mobile while Courtney, Edwin and me and DeAnne hit a place called Maggiano's for lunch. After lunch we hit the road back to Andalusia and after a pit stop or two, we were home.

It was a great time and a great concert and great to have the chance to see my Grandmother so soon after she got the news about her kidney. Please pray for my Grandmother. She watched my Grandfather die of cancer nearly 14 years ago and I know she's worried about going through what she saw him go through.

Sorry to end on kind of a sad note. Have a good Tuesday.

--Paul

No comments: