Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Two Things Today

So there are two things happening today that I'm a bit excited about.

The first is that the new iPhone/iPod Touch 3.0 software is coming out. Apple has been talking about it for about 6 months now and I'm anxious to see how all the new features pan out. Being a Touch user, I won't get as much benefit from it as an iPhone user will, but new software/features/upgrades always get me excited.

The other thing happening is that a game called "Magic: the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers" is coming out on Xbox LIVE today. Magic, or "mtg" for short, is what's called a "collectible card game". Most people are more familiar with Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh. You buy packs of cards and build decks to play the game with. Cards have different abilities and rarities and that sets the value of a card. MTG is the granddaddy of all collectable card games. It was the first ever produced and I started playing about two years after it first came out when I was around 14 or 15. About a year after getting married and after several years of having not played the game, I sold my collection. The new Xbox game looks to be a cheap way for me to play again and not have to worry about finding friends to play against since it has online multiplayer. It also cost only $10, about the same as a starter deck of the real cards. The Xbox version is going to have a limited card pool and won't have the collectable aspect of the real cards, but it should be a great way to be able to play a game I always enjoyed.

Have a good Wednesday.

--Paul

No comments: