Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Twilight

So after all the fuss DeAnne made about Twilight I figured I might as well check it out and see if it was all she said it was. I'm about two-thirds of the way through the first book and it's not bad. I can definitely see why the female side of the species is crazy about it. It's how every girl wants to fall in love when they're young. Well, maybe not with a vampire, but as far as the emotional connection goes, I could see it being every teenage girl's dream. Despite all that though, it's not over-the-top mushy either. It's had it's moments, but for the most part, it's pretty standard fantasy novel genre fair.

I am enjoying it though. The characters are pretty funny and both Edward and Bella use a healthy amount of sarcasm that makes the situation they're in with each other pretty comical at times. Meyer also did a good job of taking the vampire myth and changing it just enough to where it's familiar, but opens up the story so that she's free to use them in new ways. Doing away with the "they only come out at night" part actually makes the whole idea a good bit more scary simply because it means that humans are never safe.

As to the movie, I can't see what all the criticism is about. DeAnne said that she doesn't enjoy the movie now that she's read the book but from what I've seen so far, the movie was a lot truer to the book than some other book to movie translations have been. The few things they added, especially the way they introduced James, Veronica and Lorent worked better in the movie than in the book.

At any rate, the book is good and I'll be reading the rest simply because the collector in me want allow me not to know the full story. Have a good Wednesday.

--Paul

No comments: