Thursday, September 03, 2009

Interesting

The town hall meeting yesterday with Sen. Jeff Sessions was pretty interesting. There was a fairly large crowd, the vast majority of which were retirees. There were some younger people there though and I wasn't the youngest that I saw, so I would say there was a pretty good range of folks. This is especially true if you consider that it was 2:00 on a Wednesday afternoon.

As to the Senator and what he said: He's not as well spoken as I was expecting him to be. Being honest, I've not paid much attention to Mr. Sessions before yesterday so I don't know that I've ever heard him speak before, and I'm not saying he was bad or did a poor job, he just wasn't as forceful as I imagined him to be.

The nice thing about it was that he really didn't seem to have prepared a statement or answers. He really seemed to just be answering questions on the fly and it was nice to see a Senator be so candid. He talked mainly about health care reform although some of the questions also got into cap and trade, religion in schools and government and social security. The crowd was pretty easy on the Senator himself, but took a few good shots at Congress as a whole and several voiced complaints about Washington politicians and the poor job they've been doing listening to the American people.

All in all, it was a pretty good and like I said, interesting to see. I only saw two signs in the meeting and I think the same old lady was holding them both. The first read "IMPeach Obama" (that's the case she used and everything) and the other said "Stop funding ACORN". There was also an SUV outside I saw when leaving that had signs all over it mainly talking about stealing the children's futures.

Here are links to the WSFA coverage and the Andalusia Star News article about the meeting:

http://www.wsfa.com/global/Story.asp?s=11029661

http://www.andalusiastarnews.com/news/2009/sep/03/citizens-speak-out/

I haven't watched the WSFA video yet, but I may be in there somewhere. Let me know if you see me.

Have a good Thursday.

--Paul

No comments: