Thursday, July 09, 2009

GDGT

There was a new site to launch on the internet last week called GDGT. It's short for "Gadget". It's kind of like a social network for geeks. You create a profile and once you're signed in and going, you can add gadgets to your profile. There are three lists: have, had and want. Each gadget has it's on page, kind of a "gadget profile", where you can check the specs and read and participate in discussion about the gadget.

As with any good social network, you can follow other users and see when they do different things on the site. My profile is at http://user.gdgt.com/jpdubose. They also run gadget news, a podcast, and a few other features but the main focus really seems to be growing the discussion on gadget pages and growing the database of different gadgets. I don't really have anything that obscure, so I've not found an instance where I wasn't able to add something, but if you look for something and it's not in the database, you can contribute it to the site. You just fill out a form with the specs and it goes off for final approval by the site admins. After a day or two, it'll either be accepted and added to the public database or it'll be rejected. I tried submitting my TV, but someone beat me to it, so my contribution was rejected, but they were nice enough to include a link in the rejection notice so that I could add the TV to my have list.

All in all, a cool site. The only downside is that it's another social networking site to keep up with. Also, I would love to see a native iPhone/iPod app similar to the facebook app.

Have a good Thursday.

--Paul

No comments: