Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Storm's A Brewin'

Well, at least a storm was brewed yesterday and it seems to have wrecked havoc on some of our electronics. It was over by the time I got home, but I dealt with it's effects for about 2 hours.

The first thing was that our Dish receiver was reporting an error that we could no longer pause or record T.V. We can still watch regular T.V., but we're in a bit of a state of shock not having the DVR. I called Dish and they're sending a new receiver. Fortunately, we had watched most of the stuff we had recorded, but we've lost all of our timers. I called Dish and they're sending a new receiver. You may recall, this is our second receiver. Our first one died last year around September/October. It was around a holiday though and it took about a week for the new one to get here. This one should be here on Friday.

After getting off the phone with Dish, I tackled the other problem, no internet connection. I reset the router and the modem and still nothing. So I connected straight to the modem and changed a few settings and we had internet. Put the router back in the mix, lost the internet again. So obviously, the router was the problem, but how to fix it? I tried restoring an old backup of the settings that I had and that didn't do any good. Finally, I just took the route I really didn't want to follow and restored the router to factory defaults. I check and I had a connection. I then had to reconfigure all of my router options. It wasn't much fun, but I didn't have to buy a new router and our internet connection is working again.

So all that made for a fun afternoon. Maybe today will be a little more mellow. Have a good Wednesday.

--Paul

No comments: