Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Baked Plot

Well, that's maybe being a little harsh. Actually, it's being a lot harsh. I loved the movie. I don't think I'm ready to declare it the best Harry Potter movie yet, but none of them have been "bad", so...

I guess my problems with the movie stem from comparing it to the book. A good bit of information was left out and the way the movie was put together seemed kind of hap-hazard. By the time they tried to fit all the different aspects of the book into the movie, it left the movie moving from one thing to the next in a way that didn't lead to much plot developement.

I'm probably being overlly critical. They did do a lot of things right. When Harry takes the luck potion, that entire sequence is spot on. The ending is also perfect, even with the minor changes they made. I just wish they would have made the movie 20 minutes longer and added another memory or two from Voldemort's past. I really think adding just the memory of how he got the ring would have made the movie more cohesive.

Anyway, like I said, the movie was great and I'm excited for the next two. Maybe watching it again would help me get past my problems with it. Who knows.

Have a good Wednesday.

--Paul

No comments: