Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Under Attack

The other night I was walking the dog before bed and while we were our I was checking my messages on my blackberry. DeAnne was inside on facebook and all of a sudden I got a message from her. I check and the subject is not something that DeAnne would wright and the message contained a link. I instantly realized what had happened. She had either been hacked or had gotten a virus. I had her change her password and figured I would scan the computer in the morning. Sure enough, we had a pretty good list of infections going on. It turns out that she had opened a spam facebook message that contained a virus. Malwarebytes was able to take care of everything though.

I've mentioned Malwarebytes Anti-Malware before. It's still probably the best anti-malware/anti-virus product out there and it's free. It's simple and does an amazing job of detecting things that I've seen even McAfee and Norton miss. In fact, we have McAfee running real-time and it missed the infection that DeAnne got the other night.

If you opened the message that DeAnne sent, I would highly suggest downloading Malwarebytes and scanning your computer. Heck, I would recommend downloading Malwarebytes and scanning your computer any way. It almost always finds something that's found a way on to a machine.

Have a good Wednesday.

--Paul

No comments: