Thursday, May 21, 2009

Blown Away

I have a real love/hate relationship with American Idol. The part of me that loves all things music, good or bad and that loves good TV really loves American Idol. The part of me that's a music purist and thinks that manufactured pop hits are then end of all that's good in the world really hates American Idol. Last night, for the American Idol finale, both sides felt like they won and I ended up more entertained than I have ever been by an episode of American Idol.

It was easily the best finale they've ever had and it has nothing to do with who won. By the time they actually got to telling us, I don't know that anyone really cared anymore or if they even should have cared. The number and range of big name music acts was simply incredible and minus one or two of the performances, they were all incredible. KISS, Queen, Rod Stewart, Santana, Fergie and the Black Eye Peas, Steve Martin (who knew the guy could play banjo), David Cook, Cyndi Lauper and several others all performing hits accompanied by various contestants and for the most part all sounding great. It was one of the greatest varaity shows that's probably ever been on television.

I'm just blown away. We were getting close to the end of the show and I told DeAnne: "The only way they could finish this out is if they brought out someone like Paul McCartney." Two seconds later Queen was playing and my jaw was on the floor. I don't know how they'll ever top this finale and the people the set it all up and lined up the talent need big raises.

I could probably keep going on about it, but it's time to go. Have a good Thursday.

--Paul

No comments: