Friday, January 09, 2009

I Had A Plan

Sitting here this morning, it seems like yesterday I had thought of something specific to write about this morning, but now I can't remember what it was. Oh well. I guess you're going to get random stuff this morning.

Florida won the BCS title game last night. I watched the first half and it drug on for so long and was so uneventful that I went to bed. Looking this morning, it seems I missed the best part of the game. I'm no Florida fan, but I like to see the SEC teams win their bowl games (yes, even Alabama) and I like for the title to stay in the SEC. It's just good for the conference and what's good for the conference is eventually good for Auburn.

The annual Consumer Electronics Show is going on this weekend. The first day was actually yesterday but the press were let in early, so news has been coming all week on the stuff being shown. DISH has a new receiver, the 922, coming out this year that looks really cool. It has a Slingbox integrated into it along with a new guide interface and some other internet related features. A slingbox lets you stream video from your TV to any video device in your home connected to your network (like a PC) or over the internet to a laptop or even a mobile phone. I'm more interested in it for the home applications, but the internet streaming could be cool too for when I'm gone on the occasional trip. They're also going to set it up so that you can log on to a website and program your DVR over the internet. The new guide interface looks really slick too. It's supposed to be out this spring, so hopefully we'll be able to get one. We'll probably have to commit to a new contract, but I don't see us dropping DISH anytime soon anyway, so that's not really a problem.

Other than the receiver, I've seen mention of a few cool TVs and some new storage standards for flash memory that should make for some huge gains in capacity over the next couple of years. There's also USB 3.0 that's going to be out soon. It's incredibly fast. Imagine sycing a 1000 songs to your ipod in seconds instead of minutes. Finally, Microsoft is getting the next version of Windows ready for realease. It's called Windows 7 and I really think it'll be out before the end of the year. The first public beta comes out today, so that usually means they're pretty close to the final version. I think they'll try and get it out before the Christmas shopping season so that they can market it on new PCs for Christmas. From what I've read, they've made enough incremental improvements to Vista and it's so much less of a resource hog that it should be a decent upgrade and will probably finally get people off of XP.

Well, I came up with a good bit after all. Have a good Friday and a good weekend.

--Paul

No comments: