Thursday, May 15, 2008

TV!

Back on Monday, DISH added a bunch of new HD channels for us to enjoy then on Tuesday and Wednesday they took down 15. The 15 they took down were called the "VOOM Channels". They were 24 hour all HD channels that were genre based. For instance, there was one called "Monsters" that ran horror movies all day, one called "Kung Fu" that ran old kung fu movies all day and, my favorite, "Rave" that ran live music programming all day. These channels were in DISH's $20 HD package that includes any HD channel that doesn't have an SD equivalent. After they took these channels down, there were only 7 channels left in the $20 HD package that weren't in the $10. I called yesterday and had them drop us to the $10 HD package. It turns out though, that there's a $10 difference between our base package and the next package up, so I had them move our base package up to the top level, so now we're getting more channels than we lost, just not all in HD, and our bill is the same as it was.

I'm really going to miss Rave though. They had some good music from time to time and I always checked to see if there was anything worth recording. Hopefully DISH will replace those 15 channels pretty soon with something.

American Idol went just the way it should. We watched the performance show from Tuesday night and I wasn't really impressed with any of them. David Cook's "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" was pretty good, but I wasn't crazy about his other two songs. I don't like the other David at all. He's what I imagine Michael Bolten was like when he was 17. Syesha, bless her heart, she gave it her best, and she really had gotten better lately, but it was too little, too late. Most of our shows are over next week, with Lost carrying over to the week after that. Maybe we'll finally be able to catch up on some of the stuff we've got recorded.

--Paul

No comments: